Prof. Dr. M. Nazrul Islam,
Renowned Glaucoma Specialist & Phaco surgeon, currently working at Bangladesh Eye Hospital. He is the former Head of Ophthalmology Department and Head of Glaucoma division at BIRDEM Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Prof. Nazrul Islam is the senior Glaucoma consultant, Laser Cataract surgery Specialist and Director of Bangladesh Eye Hospital which is a dedicated eye hospital in the country with the state of the art facility.
He utilizes the latest techniques and equipment to ensure that he brings the highest standards of care. He is one of the Bangladesh's leading cataract and glaucoma surgeon. Doing phacoemulsification from 1998 in the country and has performed more than 20,000 phaco-emulsification and a good no of Laser cataract surgeries with excellent results. He is the pioneer of glaucoma surgery - Trabeculectomy with MMC, Small Incision Glaucoma Surgery, Trabeculectomy with ExPress shunt, Ahmed Glaucoma Valve and other GDD implants in Bangladesh.
Prof. Nazrul Islam graduated MBBS from University of Dhaka in 1982. Later he obtained Diploma in Ophthalmology, MCPS (membership) and FCPS(Fellowship) in Ophthalmology. He had post graduate training and short fellowship on Phacoemulsification with Dr. PannetPangputhipong at Metapracharak Hospital, Bangkok in 1997 and on Glaucoma with Prof. Robert Ritch at the New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, USA in 2005.
Prof. M. Nazrul Islam is the President of Bangladesh Eye Care Society(BECS). He is the Immediate Past President of the Bangladesh Glaucoma Society. As the president of the Society, Prof. Nazrul tried to aware about glaucoma to the general population of his own country- Bangladesh. Prof. Nazrul Islam is the chairman of the Board of Management of Jessore Community Eye Hospital & is giving community eye care at his home district Jessore. He is also a member of the executive board of Asia Pacific Glaucoma Society( APGS), Asian Angle Closure Glaucoma Club (AACGC) and contributing in this field from Bangladesh.
Interested in research, Prof. Nazrul Islam is the author or co-author of over 60 medical and scientific papers. He edited Journal of the Ophthalmological Society of Bangladesh (1995-2000), Edited Journal of the Bangladesh Academy of Ophthalmology (2003-2006). Presently he is the Chief Editor of JBGS( Journal of Bangladesh Glaucoma Society).Along with presentations in the Bangladesh national conferences, presented oral papers in AIOS, SAARC, APGS and World Glaucoma Conferences in USA, Canada, India, Nepal, Thailand, Sri Lanka, France, China & Hong Kong. He was invited to speak or chair in the World Glaucoma Congress, Asia Pacific Glaucoma Congress, Asia Pacific Association of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (APACRS), MEACO, All India Ophthalmmological Congress and other National Conferences.
Prof. Nazrul Islam has been recognized as a popular presenter in the national radio & TV channels. He is the writer of five books in Bengali language . These books are distributed to his patients for education. The books are also available for download from this website.
- ChokherUchcha Chap Glukoma (High Eye Pressure Glaucoma)
- Chokh O Chashma( Eye & Spectacles)
- Diabetes O Chokh( Diabetes & Eye)
- Eye Disease - 100 Question & Answer
- GlaucomarShatheBosobash( Living with Glaucoma)
Prof. Nazrul received some Gold Medal& Award as a recognition of his works viz.Matin Gold Medal for best paper by Ophthalmological Society of Bangladesh in 1996, Fulkoli “ Best performance in Ophthalmology” award in 2003, Rotary Governor Gold Medal for contribution in Community Ophthalmology in 2011 by Rotary District 3280, SKF MIRRIR health award in 2011, ACOIN award from the Association of Community Ophthalmologists of India in 2012.
- President, Bangladesh Eye Care Society (BECS)
- Immediate Past President, Bangladesh Glaucoma Society (BGS)
- Vice President, Ophthalmological Society of Bangladesh(OSB)
- Vice President, Bangladesh Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons(BSCRS)
- Imm Past President, BIRDEM Doctors & Officers welfare Association
- Past Jt. Secretay General of Ophthalmological Society of Bangladesh
- Past Member Secretary of Bangladesh Academy of Ophthalmology (BAO)
- Board Member, Asia Pacific Glaucoma Society (APGS)
- Board Member, Asian Angle Closure Glaucoma Club (AACGC)
- Member, American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- Life Member, All India Ophthalmological Society (AIOS), India.